Thursday Movie Picks: Movies with Colour in the Title

Maybe it's just me but January seems crazy fast! Today graces the blog with the presence of the Thursday Movie Picks meme hosted by the lovely Wandering Through the Shelves! The meme has been a bit of a staple around here, but if you’re a newcomer (never too late to join!), the rules are simple! Pick three movies (either you love, dislike with passion or hidden jems) based on the week’s theme, write a few words about your choice, and you’re all set! This week’s theme is movies with colours in the title. This is a vast theme because there are a ton of movies with colors on them! Here are my picks this week:

The movie with great promotional stills, Blue Valentine tells the story of a couple and the blossom and destruction of their relationship. Michelle Williams was at her wounded wife phase (she was playing a broken character dressed in marital clothing, and this choice was pretty evident in her movie choices that time), but still manages to bring life to her character. Same goes for Ryan Gosling; they did have chemistry in the movie, a chemistry that seems fated to die and burn, sadly. 

Moulin Rouge is my favorite musical of all time. The whole production was very grandiose and seemed fitting to the setting. Within the singing and the dancing of the characters are two lovers that are fighting to be together despite the world they lived in. 

A movie I didn’t think I would enjoy, RED seems like the counterpart of The Expendables franchise in which retired agents come out from retirement when their lives get threatened due to a secret mission they had years ago. This was actually a fun movie. I can’t say the same about the sequel, but I liked this movie, though all of my favorite parts involved Helen Mirren.

16 comments:

  1. Blue Valentine is a fantastic and gut wrenching relationship film. RED is all sorts of fun. Yeah, the sequel was a huge letdown. Never did get around to Moulin Rouge. Great picks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these picks! Moulin Rouge! and Blue Valentine are exceptional films. I've never seen RED, but I love how it adds some spice to this lineup, with the obvious genre differences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RED was unexpectedly fun, though the sequel was so horrible.

      Delete
  3. I love Blue Valentine! So depressing, but such a wonderfully made film. Moulin Rouge was good too, and RED was fun. Nice picks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. RED is so much fun - and yeah Helen Mirren is just the best in it. PERFECT pic for Moulin Rouge (also one of my favorites)! I keep putting Blue Valentine off because of the whole "depressing" thing. I just need to suck it up and watch it already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my favorite scene from the movie (Moulin Rouge)!

      Delete
  5. Never saw RED. I guess I let the lukewarm reviews get to me. Blue Valentine is a great piece about relationships. Really tough watch, though. Moulin Rouge is so much fun. Great musical!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anyway, I always love Blue Valentine... It's a real definition of blue valentine in a real world, ain't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! There were memorable scenes, and loved the chemistry between Williams and Gosling; they really sold their characters.

      Delete
  7. I wanted to pick Moulin Rouge this week too but since I already picked it last week I gave the spot to another movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was supposed to pick it for Musicals too, but decided to go with a different movie.

      Delete
  8. Interesting picks. I appreciated the craftsmanship of Blue Valentine rather than liked it, both leads did super work but it was so relentlessly downbeat one view was enough. RED was a fun action ride and I share others view that Helen Mirren was the best part, as she usually is in her films. Moulin Rouge was visually impressive but Kidman irks me in everything I've ever seen her in aside from The Others so she was a big detriment to my enjoyment of the film.

    ReplyDelete