Thursday Movie Picks: Musicals

It’s a new year for Wandering Through the Shelves’s Thursday Movie Picks Meme! I’ve missed a few of them, but I will try to catch up! This week’s theme is musicals. I have a love-hate relationship with musicals. When there’s too much singing and dancing involved, I tune it out or skip the movie completely, hence it led me to skip some of the finest musical-related movies. Due to my limited knowledge on the genre, my picks would be common, but here are my favorite musicals:

The musical numbers! I don’t think I have been enhanced more from the musical production rather than the story itself. These production numbers breathe life into the movie, and if the stage production of Chicago was as amazing (or even brings the movie into new heights), I would definitely try to catch it. Unfortunately, there was a production that toured here, and I wasn’t able to catch its run due to holiday-related and geographically-related reasons. 

A recent musical as of last year, God Help the Girl marks the directorial debut of Stuart Murdoch of Belle and Sebastian fame. It's a charming movie composed of different production numbers that flow constantly, with its formatting akin to a music video. 

My mom kept the soundtrack of Mamma Mia in her car when she passed the car down to me, and it become one of my few music sources for a few months. I wasn't a big fan of the movie, but some parts were entertaining. 

6 comments:

  1. Haven't seen any of these, though the ladies in my house have watched Chicago and Mamma Mia and seemed to like both. Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chicago! I completely forgot that one, loved it. Haven't seen your other two choices, but God Help the Girl sounds interesting enough to check out someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not as flashy or grand as the other two, but it was a nice movie.

      Delete
  3. I love all three of these! Especially God Help The Girl, that movie was just so sweet.

    I shamelessly enjoyed Mamma Mia too. Amanda Seyfried is a hell of a singer. I liked her version of Honey Honey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God Help the Girl was really nice! I didn't expect to like it that much, I really enjoyed the movie.

      Delete