Thursday Movie Picks: Mother - Son Relationships (Biologically Related)

At the end of each month, Thursday Movie Picks has a recurring All in the Family Edition theme, with this month being about mother and son relationships. Like always, my choices this week would focus on the relationships rather than actual mother-son movies. Here are my picks this week:

Adore/Two Mothers had a really weird premise - the moms who are the best of friends embark on a relationship with the sons of one another. Get past that and you’d see a no-judgment kind of movie, their relationship intricately intertwined. Both mothers are equally close to their sons - what makes this a no-judgment kind of movie is that both sides accept their circumstances. It helps that the scenery is gorgeous.

A relationship that wasn’t peachy to begin with, We Need To Talk About Kevin divulges into the relationship between Eva and Kevin. They don’t seem to share that bond that mothers and children should have, with Eva even being scared of her son. This is the ‘don’t have children ever’ kind of movie, but such fantastic work from the two actors. 

Since I used the first movie for my father-son relationships, I think it’s fitting that I also use the relationship between Hiccup and Valka in How to Train Your Dragon 2. Knowing that she was dead his whole life, it comes to a surprise that his mother is the keeper of dragons. With this revelation and the succeeding scenes of mother-and-son bonding, it was clear where the other side of Hiccup came from.

16 comments:

  1. I've heard of Adore, but, and I am gonna be honest here, the storyline just put me off watching it, and it really doesn't sound like my thing. Should I just push this aside and see it? Perhaps I need to be non-judgemental like the film is.

    We Need to Talk About Kevin is a great choice, one I went for too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The story of Adore was really weird, I was questioning myself why I was watching it in the first place. I didn't expect to enjoy it.

      Delete
    2. Hmm...i don't know about the know no-judgement thing. When you say side do you mean each couple not judging the other? I suppose they can't because then they would be hypocrites. We also don't get to see a lot of people outside of their relationship judging because most don't know about the relationship. It's like their relationships exist in a vacuum, both couples are usually together only at their houses by the beach that were quite private. Which is why one of the boys was reluctant to go uni and one of the mothers didn't want to move to where the husband work was.

      Delete
  2. Great picks! How to Train Your Dragon 2 just had to make my list too :)
    - Allie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love your last two picks, and I also chose Kevin. I've had Adore in my Netflix queue for ages but I haven't gotten to it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't seen Adore yet, although I keep meaning too. The bond in HTTYD2 is definitely the best part of the film :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like how meeting his mother allowed Hiccup to further understand the side that was so unlike his father's.

      Delete
  5. Kevin is popular this week, with good reason. It's an excellent film. HTTYD2 was meh to me, but it does fit the topic well. Haven't seen your other pick. It sounds...um...weird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The movie's story is weird, but it mostly doesn't berate any of the characters for doing what they did - it was primarily between the four of them.

      Delete
  6. How to Train Your Dragon 2!! LOVE. Still smarting from its Oscar loss.

    I need to see We Need to Talk About Kevin, if only for Tilda and Ezra Miller (who was SO good in Perks of Being A Wallflower). I have only heard "so bad it's good" things about Adore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ezra Miller is excellent in Kevin, and the story itself is interesting since it was shot in the mother's point of view.

      Delete
  7. We Need to Talk About Kevin has on my watch-list forever. Tilda and Ezra are both powerhouse actors. Nice list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love How to Train Your Dragon 2!

    ReplyDelete