Thursday Movie Picks: Movies Based on Graphic Novel/Comic (Non-Superhero)

I missed last week’s Thursday but it's back! Thursday Movie Picks is a weekly meme hosted by Wandering Through the Shelves. If you haven’t joined in, it’s never too late! This week’s theme are movies based on graphic novels/comics that are not superheroes! Here are my choices this week:

The only movie on the list whose graphic novel I've read, Persepolis chronicles the life of Marjane Satrapi during the Iranian Revolution. She has also co-directed the movie, and it is very faithful to the autobiography, using the same technique to do the movie. Both graphic novel and book were very good and enjoyable.

The movie people were telling me to watch because of the abundance of abs (that’s how some friends sold me the movie), 300 was based on a graphic novel of the same name written by Frank Miller and and Lynn Varley. I haven’t read it, but the movie itself was awesome. Too bad the prequel/sequel didn’t have the same appeal as its predecessor. 

One of the fantastic movies I’ve seen about friendship and growing up, We Are the Best narrates the lives of best friends Bobo and Klara, two girls who believe that punk is not dead. They decide to form a punk band and enlists a fellow classmate, Hedvig to be part of them. The movie is more than just the girls practicing or playing songs, but touches on issues such as confidence, crushes, and trials of being different. This was such a fantastic, underrated movie and it is based on a graphic novel written by Coco Moodysson entitled Never Goodnight.

22 comments:

  1. Love 300 and Persepolis. 300 is a visual masterpiece and Persepolis is just excellent in every way. Haven't seen that last one, but it sounds interesting. I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We Are The Best is a wonderful movie, hope you get to see it some time!

      Delete
  2. We Are the Best!!!!!!!!!! OMG!!!!! Why didn't I think of that one? I love that movie SO MUCH!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's wonderful, isn't it? I didn't expect to like it so much but it's fantastic!

      Delete
  3. Nice picks! The abs (and special effects) really do it with 300. I really want to see the sequel for Eva and Lena but the reviews aren't very promising.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sequel wasn't anything special. It tried to rehash the elements that made the first movie work but it doesn't live up.

      Delete
  4. Nice picks! I haven't seen We Are The Best but I think I have it in my Netflix queue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Looking forward for your review of We Are The Best!

      Delete
  5. I love Persepolis so much! It's a wonderful film. 300 is great, as well. Haven't seen We Are the Best. Sounds like quirky fun. Great picks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must have passed by this one when I was replying to comments, sorry! We Are the Best is a delightful film.

      Delete
  6. I've only seen 300 and it is a big ol' fun ride, I'm with you on the follow-ups not being as good...but then they rarely ever are. Wish Hollywood would learn that lesson. I've heard of Persepolis but haven't had a chance to catch up with it yet. Never heard of We Are the Best but it sounds good. I'm always glad when the series reveals new films for me to explore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also look forward for the entries to the series because of new films! There are so many choices out there.

      Delete
  7. UGH the ABS in 300!!! DROOL. We Are The Best has been in my Netflix queue for what feels like forever. Everyone says it's great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice! I didn't think the 300 sequel/prequel/inbetweenquel was awful but it didn't capture the magic of the first one, similar to the second Sin City. We Are the Best was one of my favorites from last year and also made my list as you have already seen. If I remember correctly (from the wiki, haven't read any of these) the present day bits in color were new to the film. - Bubbawheat

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't seen any of them but have heard of them all. All sound interesting, particularly Persepolis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Persepolis is a great movie and an interesting read as well.

      Delete
  10. Another We Are the Best pick. I'll look out for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fantastic movie. I hope you get to see it some time!

      Delete