Thursday Movie Picks: Sibling Relationships (Biologically Related)

This Thursday is the last Thursday Movie Picks of the month, and with this being a year-long event, there’s still plenty of time to join! As on last Thursdays, it’s a family related theme, with this week all about sibling relationships! There are a ton of movies that revolve around siblings. Here are my picks this week:

Real life sisters Catherine Deneuve and Françoise Dorléac play siblings in Jacques Demy’s The Young Girls of Rochefort. The movie takes place in a span of days with the siblings looking for love and wanting to leave Rochefort in order to pursue their dreams. They don't do much sibling bonding in this film, but they do tend to do things together. The movie is quite charming and I loved their style. There’s also a lot of singing and dancing that takes place, and it was quite vibrant. 

When Darkness Falls is an anthology regarding courage to fight, especially in the face of danger. A segment of this was about an Armenian family living in Sweden, its story told in the eyes of Leyla. Leyla has many siblings, but was closest to her sister Nina. Her story starts when her family had enough of Nina’s nonsense and rebellion, citing that she is disgracing her family. Their segment tackles honor killing and going through further details would spoil their entire segment. It’s the first time I’ve seen a movie touch on the concept and it was interesting (since it’s a glimpse of a different culture) and scary at the same time. 

Adding to the practically all-female mix are sisters Elsa and Anna in Disney’s Frozen. The two sisters used to be close but because of Elsa’s powers, the two were separated, only coming in contact during Elsa’s coronation, and the events that ensued in the movie. I think this is the first Disney princess movie where sibling relationship comes to play and is one of the highlights of the movie.

18 comments:

  1. I've only seen Frozen and, honestly, I was underwhelmed. Haven't heard of your other two, but they sound really interesting, particularly that first one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked The Young Girls of Rochefort; I was excited to watch it after seeing The Umbrellas of Cherbourg. Jacques Demy directed both films and I loved how differently he tackled them.

      Delete
    2. Wendell...we're going to have a problem when we 4 Ways a Best Picture 2013...

      Delete
  2. Just adding The Young Girls of Rochefort to my watchlist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I quite Frozen, thought the ending was quite sweet. When Darkness falls sounds like an emotionally heavy film. Will check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All three segments in the movie are emotional in varying ways. I found the segment I wrote about really terrifying as its topic was something I've only encountered in discussions, and seeing a portrayal of it just scared me.

      Delete
  4. I LOVE The Young Girls of Rochefort, such an inventive film. It's a shame to realize that Dorleac had been killed in a car crash by the time this was released, she was so vibrant. I'm suffering from severe Frozen burnout, it seems like every house I go into that has children has that movie on. I'm not an animation fan to begin so it got old very fast but for what it is its a well made film. I haven't seen When Darkness Falls but it sounds worth checking out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deneauve and Dorleac worked well together. The Frozen fever hit my house hard, especially during the holidays.

      Delete
  5. Love Frozen so much. What a great message for a "kids' movie".

    The Young Girls of Rochefort - <3. LOVE the movies Demy and Deneuve made together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to watching another Demy/Deneauve collaboration, Donkey Skin. Hopefully it's as good as the others!

      Delete
  6. Aww Frozen is such a good choice. I haven't seen the other two, but they both sound pretty interesting. There's so much variety this week so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have placed a couple of sibling movies on my watch list this week.

      Delete
  7. I really need to do some Jacques Demy. And Frozen!!! You gotta love it. Just as sweet as they come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only seen two of Demy's films and loved both of them!

      Delete
  8. OMG!!! The Young Girls of Rochefort is SO GOOD!!! It may have my favorite opening title sequence of any film ever!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did have a great opening sequence! This film was so vibrant!

      Delete
  9. Good job with Frozen. I was really surprised how much I enjoyed the movie. I don't think I've seen your other two picks though.

    ReplyDelete