Break: Some Books I've Read

I went on a movie-free binge for at least a week and spent most of my free time reading. In a few days I read a stack of books that would at least take me a month or two (or three if I'm feeling lazy) to finish. Since it's a bit of a breather to not be watching anything at the moment (at least that week), here are some of the books I've removed from my to-read list.

The Case of the Velvet Claws (a Perry Mason Mystery) by Erle Stanley Gardner

For a fan of the classics, Perry Mason is not uncommon; there was a television show about the lawyer/detective. I haven't watched his stuff, but have started to read the books. They started re-releasing the books, and this was the first one on the series. Its short nature allows it for an easy read. I'm not reading the series chronologically, but based on the first book and the character introduction, I don't think chronological reading is necessary. 


Maybe I got to clear shelf space is because I like reading detective books. This too, is part of a series that chronicles a crime author who moonlights as a thief. Each book takes place in a different city, so it's like a travelogue of sorts. So far I've enjoyed the book; it doesn't spoil the mystery because it's written in the first person. I'm not certain if these have to be read in order as I'm only about to start on the second book. 

The Martian by Andy Weir

Because I missed the movie, I consoled myself by reading the book. Now I can't wait to see the movie and I hope Matt Damon portrays the role very well. The trailer served as a reminder as to which part of the book a particular bit was happening. It looked like it transcended well onscreen - I really recommend picking up the book after watching the film. It's hilarious, and very imaginative. 

Why Not Me? by Mindy Kaling

Why Not Me? is Mindy Kaling's follow up book, which chronicles recent chapters of her life - from anecdotes about love, her show, being a celebrity, and other aspects. The tone that she uses in her previous book is still very present in this one; it seemed that she had just took a breather and resumed chatting again. I found this one to be more personal in terms of content. 

The Hanging Girl by Jussi Adler-Olsen

I started reading this one at the beginning of the month, stopped for a bit, then picked up afterwards. The Hanging Girl is the sixth book of the Department Q series. Compared to the previous books, the tone was lighter - it felt like a breeze reading through instead of the grittiness present in the other books. The books are a bit of a slow burn (the e-book was very long, and my paperback copy had the tiniest font imaginable) but quickly picks up at the last couple of chapters (but not in that abrupt, quick wrap up way) - except this book! It's very different; there was no surprise, no intense moment. It was a very calm crime book - is that even possible? It's the easiest one to read, except that these have to be read chronologically; this one skips years from the fifth installment. 

Re Jane by Patricia Park

This was marketed as a re-imagining of Jane Eyre in the eyes of Jane Re, a Korean-American living in Queens. Based on the movies alone, I disagree with the marketing. It's really more of finding one's identity - and in Jane's case, putting her history together, in order to grow up and understand what she really wanted. At one point I wanted to throw the book away because the character was starting to be silly, but it was an okay read in general. I liked that she took a journey and that the author didn't just rush her transformation, though it really ended a bit quickly once the realization dawned on her.

1 comment:

  1. Mindy's memoirs are ones I've always wanted to read. They seem very interesting and fun! I may have to finally check them out. :)

    ReplyDelete